How to Upgrade HP Printer Firmware
For refilled HP 934/935 and HP 950/951 ink cartridge series printer models which display printer/cartridge error messages such as “missing or damaged”, “ink cartridge damaged”, “cartridge problem”, “replace cartridge”, “depleted ink cartridge”, etc., there is a new printer firmware update available for your printer model which will enable refilled ink cartridges to function normally.*
Locate your printer model and Operating System in the Solution section of the page and then click Download to begin firmware download. Refer to complete Printer Firmware Upgrade Steps below.
PRINTER FIRMWARE UPGRADE STEPS:
CAUTION: Do not use or power off the printer or computer while the firmware update is in process.
- Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer, either through your network or a USB cable.
- Click the link for your HP printer model in the following table and run the downloaded firmware update file from your Internet browser.
- Look in the HP Printer Update window to see if your printer serial number displays.
- If the serial number is listed, select the printer serial number, and then click Update.
- If the serial number is listed but status is not applicable (grayed out), the firmware does not need to be updated. Click Cancel.
- If the serial number is not listed and your printer is using a network connection, connect a USB cable, wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh.
- When the update is finished, click OK.
- If you connected a USB cable for your networked printer, then remove the USB driver that was added by Windows.
- Search Windows for Devices and Printers, and then open Device and Printers from the search results.
- Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.
- Disconnect the USB cable, and restart the computer.
- If the cartridge still fails after the feature is removed, then the cartridge is most likely defective and should be returned to your ink refiller for chip evaluation (i.e. chip version, alignment, placement).
What printers are impacted by the Sept. 13, 2017 firmware upgrade?*
HP OfficeJet 6800 Series
HP OfficeJet 6812
HP OfficeJet 6815
HP OfficeJet 6820
HP OfficeJet 6822
HP OfficeJet 6825
HP OfficeJet Pro 6200 Series
HP OfficeJet Pro 6230
HP OfficeJet Pro 6235
HP OfficeJet Pro 6239
HP OfficeJet Pro 6830
HP OfficeJet Pro 6835
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8615 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8616 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8625 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8630 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8640 e-All-in-One
HP OfficeJet Pro 8660 e-All-in-One
*HP printer firmware update is not available or required for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 and 8600 Plus printer models.
Refer to the main Support page for all other refill questions.